FINAL GROUP PROJECT
A significant part of your grade this semester is the delivery of a group project. Students will be divided into teams of 2 to 4 members.
Within the teams, students will work together to gather requirements, analyze and diagram requirements, and design a potential solution to those requirements.
It is important to work as a group, as all students within a team will receive the same grade for the group project.
Instructor will not get involved in any group discord
Your group project is important!
Yes, your project important, so take it seriously. That being said, the purpose of the project is to:
- Learn and use object oriented analysis and design methods and methodologies using UML.
- Give you the opportunity to work within a team setting to accomplish a defined goal.
Your project should include:
- Cover letter of proposed system, including name of system and of participating students
- A Baseline Project Plan, including feasibility analysis. (Assume any cost/benefit dollars you wish)
- Use Cases (description and diagrams)
- Object model (class diagrams)
- Sequence diagrams
- Proposed system design architecture
XYZ inc. needs to replace an existing accounts receivable application (A/R) that runs on a mainframe with an application that runs on a Unix/Oracle platform.
An analysis of buy versus build has been undertaken, and it was determined that an off-the-shelf solution was not suitable to XYZ's needs
The request is to build a complete replacement system using current state technology, including n-tier architecture using a backend RDBMS server, a middle tier application server,
and a client tier user interface running on a PC platform.
- (1) The A/R system receives customer information (name, address, etc.) from a sales contact application CRM.
- (2) The company has 2 billing applications BILLS and INVS, that also receives data from the CRM application and bills customers for products.
Assume any 2 types of product categories. Example landline telephone service and cell phone service.
- (3) The A/R system receives invoice details from the 2 separate billing applications BILLS, and INVS.
- (4) Customers send payments to local banks. Banks automatically deposit payments in company XYZ's bank accounts.
- (5) The bank sends an interface transmission file of the deposit information with the customer check routing number to XYZ's A/R system.
- (6) Based on a predefined bank routing mapping table, payments from the banks are automatically identified to the customer A/R account.
- (7) The responsibility of the user is to apply received payment(s) against one or more outstanding invoice(s) on the customer A/R account.
- (8) Application of payment(s) to invoice(s) is performed on an invoice by invoice basis, not on total customer A/R balance.
- (9) Transaction detail needs to be kept, to allow user to respond to customer inquiry. Example: What invoices did you apply check #1234 to?
- (10) A/R system performs other functionality such as charging interest, generating customer statements, creating aging reports, etc.
The goal of this project is to analyze, and model request (3), and (5-9) above.