FINAL GROUP PROJECT
A significant part of your grade this semester will be the delivery of a group project.
Students will be divided into teams of 2 to 4 members.
Within the teams, students will work together to write a proposal for the implementation of a data warehouse (or data mart).
The proposal will be a business case study that could be presented to your management in an effort to support
and justify your request for the development of the data warehouse.
The proposal should articulate what subject(s) orientation the data warehouse will be built around,
why you feel that a data warehouse would be beneficial to the company, and
what benefits you expect to derive from the implementation of the warehouse.
In addition, and depending on the technical expertise and SQL skills of the students, you will also be responsible for
creating such a data warehouse (or data mart) in your assigned database. Your responsibility will be to create such tables,
as well as to populate those tables with some data. Data need not be voluminous. Approximately 10-50 rows in the dimension tables,
and 50-200 rows in the fact tables.
As part of this project, it is important to work as a group, as all students within a team will receive
the same grade for the group project.
Instructor will not get involved in any group discord
Your group project is important!
Yes, your project important, so take it seriously. That being said, the purpose of the project is to:
- Learn and apply critical knowledge obtained in this class.
- Give you the opportunity to work within a team setting to accomplish a defined goal.
Your project should include:
And the hands-on component...
- Cover letter, including name of data warehouse project and of participating students
- Description of the business process/model at hand.
(You can choose any business model. Including actual model from your current work, or sample from retail, CRM, HR, etc.)
- Proposal for the development of the data warehouse
- Outline of business justifications and benefits
- Description and data detail of the fact tables. You should have a minimum of 2 fact tables.
- Description and data detail of the dimension tables. At least 1 table must be conformed across the 2 fact tables.
- Model diagram of the Stars or Snowflakes schema proposed
- Identification and explanation of the source systems for the data warehouse
- Detail description of the extract, transformation and load processes
- Whether aggregate tables will be deployed, and why or why not used
- Include One or two analytical queries (SQL code, and resulting output).
(You need to complete the hands-on part below first.)
- Project proposal should be 10-20 Pages in total excluding diagrams.
- Actual creation of the data warehouse or data mart
- Create at least 2 Star Schema
- Creation of the dimension tables
- Creation of the fact tables.
- Loading of data rows into the tables. Tables should only have few (20-50) rows each
- Query of the data (SQL code) to obtain an analytical report of your choosing